This is a frequently asked question by millions of computer users that how they can find the Office Product Key. You can ideally use a key finder program which can be helpful in locating your lost MS product key. Most of the software programs come with a product key which is mandatory required while installing the program on your computer. This may necessarily include certain versions of Microsoft Office. In case, you have somehow lost your Microsoft Office product key, you will be required to find the same before you opt to install the software suite in your computer or any other device.
MS Office product keys are being encrypted inside the Windows Registry. So, searching for the product key manually is next to impossible. You will come across an exhaustive string of numerical once you are able to locate the right registry key. Once you can find the encrypted text, this is not the working Office product key.
Fortunately, the programs which are called as key finders are used frequently for easily finding & decryption the product key for you. This key finder helps a lot in finding your lost product key and this, in turn; help you in successfully reinstall the program.
In case, you do not find your product key while opting to use the methods which are outlined below, the only legal option that you’re left with is to purchase another brand new copy of the MS Office. There are several times when you may be offered free key products for Office or the key generator programs, none of these are the great ways of installing your Microsoft Office product.
Microsoft Office 2016 & 2013
The Microsoft Office 2016 and Microsoft Office 2013 product keys are unique as compared to the older versions of Microsoft Office. Unfortunately for the users, there are only the last five characters out of the twenty-five characters of MS Office 2016 & 2013 product key is actually stored in your computer. Thus, using a product key finder proves somewhat useless.
For unknown reasons, Microsoft has completely changed the way the product keys in the latest versions are handled. In case you have an already installed version of Microsoft Office 2016 or 2013 via your Office 365 subscription, you do not require worrying about the product keys any further. All you need to do is to sign in to your registered account & then download & install the latest version of 2016 or 2013 versions of MS Office.
Microsoft Office 2010 & 2007
Just like all the other versions of MS Office, Microsoft Office 2010 and Microsoft Office 2007 also require the unique product key that is necessary for the installation process. In case, you are completely sure that you no longer possess the physical product key for the version of Microsoft Office or in case you have deleted or lost the product key for your possessed version of Microsoft Office, you can successfully extract the product key from the registry by using a finder tool. Following is the procedure of recovering or finding the Product Key of Microsoft Office 2010 & 2007.
- First of all, you have to download License Crawler. This software can be downloaded for free and portable i.e. it does not require any installation. This is perfect software for the extraction of the valid product key for both Office 2007 as well as Office 2010.
- After you have downloaded License Crawler, you have to extract the ZIP file that you in some folder and then run LicenseCrawler.exe.
- Once LicenseCrawler has opened, you have to click on the Search tab.
- Then you have to wait for License Crawler to scan the entire registry. Then look for the registry keys which contain the information of the product key. Since you probably have several more programs than Microsoft Office 2007 and 2010 installed, you would probably come across a lot of entries.
- Once LicenseCrawler has completed the scanning for the registry, then you have to scroll down through the entire list & look for the entry to start. The 14.0 entry would correspond to Office 2010 whereas 12.0 correspond to the Office 2007. You as a user would only be able to see one unless you have both the versions of Microsoft Office installed on your computer.
- Under that particular entry, you will note two specific rows. One would be labeled as Product ID and another would be labelled as Serial Number.
- The Office 2007 or 2010 product key is an alphanumeric series which is listed just after the Serial Number. The particular Office product key will be formatted in the sequence like xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx. So, the length of the product key is 25 characters long- segregated in five sets each of five numbers and letters.
- Now you’re required to enter to enter the product key code just in the space indicated on your screen by LicenseCrawler. You have either of the options to copy paste or write manually. In case, if you have entered even one character wrongly, it would not work.
- You can now reinstall Microsoft Office 2007 or 2010 using the product key that LicenseCrawler has extracted for you.
- Then you can reinstall at your leisure.
For the older versions of Microsoft Office
The older versions of Microsoft Office like Office 2003 (launched in 2003), Office XP (launched in 2001), Office 2000 (launched in 1999) and Office 97 (launched in 1996) also require the correct product keys in order to install them successfully.
Considering which of the older versions of MS Office (2003, XP, 2007 or 97) that you are using, you can follow the below mentioned steps to find the Product Key.
- Firstly, you need to download Keyfinder Thing. This can be downloaded free of cost. This software would automatically find and decrypt the product key for any of the older versions of Microsoft Office.
- You can open the ZIP file that you’ve downloaded and then you can run the file which is named as KeyFinderThing.exe in order to initiate the installation.
- Then you got to walk through the steps of installation as per the directions. You need to click Next whenever required and also have to accept the license agreement. Also, make sure in choosing Custom installation for deselecting the extra and unnecessary stuff.
- Then you are required to state Keyfinder Thing.
- You have to wait for the while when Keyfinder Thing scans the registry and then locate the product key for your installed version of Microsoft Office.
- Your Microsoft Office product key would be clearly listed and will be 25 characters in length.
- Finally, you are required to record the product key in a safe place where you would not lose it again.